[HECnet] DECnet for Linux Bug Fixes

John Forecast john at forecast.name
Thu Jul 9 12:16:40 PDT 2020

> On Jul 9, 2020, at 1:43 PM, Dennis Boone <drb at msu.edu> wrote:
>
>> To simplify installation, I’ve written a shell script
>> (BuildAndInstall.sh) to perform most of the work.
>
> To my mind, DKMS would be the ideal way to "package" this stuff.  Nearly
> anything homebrew is going to have un-noticed distro- or hardware
> platform-specific dependencies.
>
> De

This is the first I’ve heard of DKMS and it looks interesting. As far as I can see it’s really targeted at self-contained
modules which can be built using just the kernel header files and, maybe, some library files. Unfortunately, DECnet
is part of the standard kernel tree and turning on DECNET_CONFIG enables some code in the core networking code
and changes the layout of some data structures which are used throughout the kernel. Like most of the networking code it is tightly integrated into the kernel. So, in order to update the DECnet I code I have to download the kernel source, make some changes and rebuild the kernel+modules. Now there’s nothing for DKMS to do.

  John.