[HECnet] Mailing list...

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu Jul 30 14:39:40 PDT 2020

Hi, all.

I have an issue with some mail servers/providers that some people use.
I'm open to some suggestions, but also want to point out something to
people who are subscribed.

Sometimes I start getting mails bouncing for some subscribers. I do try
to check why, and occasionally there have been something I could do
about it, but many times it's simply what I would call a broken mail
server for which there isn't much I can do. So occasionally I
unsubscribe people for which I'm just getting bounces all the time.

One such example is one server who claims that 130.238.19.25 don't have
reverse DNS. Which is clearly incorrect. It have had proper DNS setup
for at least 20 years. I have no idea how that mail server is set up,
but I can't do much about it.

Other times mails gets denied because of some blocking service who
thinks the hecnet mails are just spam, or the host (Update) is
untrustworthy, or have a bad reputation or what not. Usually not much I
can do about those either. If people (or companies) decide to make use
of such services, and such services give that kind of information, it
essentially just means that you'll not be getting the hecnet mails any more.

There is only so much I'm willing to do to try and sort such things out.
I do consider such services and solutions to be fundamentally broken to
start with, but I will of course not say that people can't use them if
they want to. But chances are that you'll get dropped from the HECnet
mailing list sooner or later, unless you are using some
service/technology that actually do work (not sure if any such exists).

An example I got today (actual mailbox names redacted):

> <XXXXXX at xs4all.nl> (expanded from <hecnet-list>): host
>     mx4.xs4all.nl[194.109.24.139] said: 550 5.7.1 Spam message rejected by
>     06ULCRRd021949 on mxdrop301.xs4all.net, reason=CH (in reply to end of DATA
>     command)

reason=CH ?
What does that mean. The mail is rejected because it came from
Switzerland? (Yes, I do live in Switzerland, and yes, it was a mail I
sent to the list, but really? Is all mail from Switzerland suspect now?)

> <XXXXXX at me.com> (expanded from <hecnet-list>): host
>     mx01.mail.icloud.com[17.57.152.9] said: 554 5.7.1 [CS01] Message rejected
>     due to local policy. Please visit https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204137
>
> <XXXXXX at me.com> (expanded from <hecnet-list>): host
>     mx01.mail.icloud.com[17.57.152.9] said: 554 5.7.1 [CS01] Message rejected
>     due to local policy. Please visit https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204137

Rejected due to local policy?
Following the link don't really give an answer, but just various
recommendation.

Most of those recommendations are already done (and have been the whole
time) by the HECnet list. SPF and DKIM we don't use. I had that setup
for a while on a mail server of my own, and came to realize that it hurt
more than it helped, so I removed it again. I doubt this will be setup
on Update any time soon, but either way, it's not there now, and it's
not even clear if that is the reason for the rejects, or some other
thing. There is also no way to even get in touch with Apple in this
case, to fix this. So there is a fair chance I'll have to unsubscribe a
few more addresses in the near future...

I am not really interested in moving the mailing list to some other
host. Any suggestions from anyone on this topic?