[HECnet] Announcing RPM, a software package manager for RSX-11M-PLUS

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Jun 19 07:35:30 PDT 2020

Well, I already announced RPM before, so it's not really an announcement
in that sense. However, I have been doing a lot of improvements,
cleanup, and some documentation, to make it easier for people in the
future. Some people might already have picked this up in the process of
just staying updated, but for future reference, new users, and whatnot,
I figured I should redo the announcement.

So, for anyone running RSX-11M-PLUS (or MicroRSX) on their PDP-11 (and
preferrably V4.6, but I think it will for the most part work equally
fine with anything V4), RPM is a package manager that allows you to
install and update lots of software on your system with a minimal amount
of manual effort.

The list of available packages is constantly increasing, and there is a
web-page that describes the system in a little more detail, including
how to bootstrap the whole thing.

So, for anyone interested, please read http://mim.update.uu.se/rpm.htm,
and if you have any questions, just reach out to me.