[HECnet] DECNet for Dummies?

Ray Jewhurst raywjewhurst at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 12:11:18 PST 2020

Greetings all! I have been a lurker in this group for years but have never
started a HECNet implementation of my own. My experience with DEC machines
is only through Simh and I would like to expand my horizons with probably
the MicroVAX 3900 simulator. There are a few of challenges with this. 1. My
knowledge of DCL is quite rudimentary.  2. My networking experience is
strictly TCP/IP. 3. I have seen how much enjoyment you all have with this
but I am still not sure what to do with HECNet.  Nevertheless, I would love
to get involved but I will probably need some hand holding and it would be
understandable that no one has time to help me. So I was wondering if there
was any beginners guide to DECNet I could read or if anyone would be
interested in helping a total beginner. I have 3 computers all running
Linux: an older desktop, a laptop which I usually use on wifi so that
probably isn't a good choice and a Raspberry Pi 4. Again any help and/or
advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Ray