[HECnet] Intermittent Connection with PyDECnet?

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 15:55:18 PST 2020

I appear to have neither CIRCUIT VERIFICATION nor NODE TRANSMIT
PASSWORD, viz:

    NCP>set cirCUIT ni-0 ? ALL
       or one of the following:
      ACTIVE         BABBLE      BLOCKING     CHANNEL       COST
      COUNTER      DEAD
      DTE            DYING       HELLO        INACTIVE      LINE
      LISTEN       MAXIMUM
      NUMBER         OWNER       POLLING      RECALL ROUTER
    SERVICE      STATE
      TRANSMIT       TRIBUTARY   TYPE         USAGE

    NCP>set noDE venti2:: ? ALL
       or one of the following:
      ADDRESS   CIRCUIT
       or one of the following:
      AREA          BROADCAST        BUFFER          CONSOLE COUNTER
      CPU           DELAY            DIAGNOSTIC      DUMP HARDWARE
      HOST          IDENTIFICATION   INACTIVITY      INCOMING LOAD
      MAXIMUM       OUTGOING         RETRANSMIT      ROUTING SECONDARY
      SEGMENT       SERVICE    SOFTWARE        STATE SUBADDRESSES
      TERTIARY      TYPE

I may be mis-remembering how our DN200 was configured.  I believe the
Top-20 NCP parser may have shared keyword tables with other DECnet
implementations via BLISS at one point.  Anyway, I recall at least some
of it was BLISS.  I haven't look in that particular box lately, but the
parse tables appear to assembler now, with heavy uses of GLXMAC macros.

The Tops-20 operator interface has two 'sub-modes', as it were: NCP and
LCP.  NCP parses DECnet related keywords.  LCP is used for LAT
configuration.  The operator subsystem is kind of neat; OPR parsers send
packets to Orion, a communications server and router.  It notes an NCP
subset and routes that to NMLT20 which contains just what you think it
would.

Early versions of NMLT20 (about 1980) appeared insufficiently
productized.  It could hang in a loop or (more frequently) crash for no
readily apparent reason. We submitted a rather large number of SPR's...
However, it's quite stable now; I don't believe I've had a single
crash.  I have yet to come to a fully informed conclusion about the
lexical interface; I sometimes get the impression that it parses for
more than it can actually do.

Elsewhere in Tops-20, DECnet implementation is a mixed bag; most of the
monitor code appears finished; I go months without reboots and that is
with active development.  The user mode code is another matter
entirely.  I had my hands full fixing a number of issues with DAP and
FAL. It was /invaluable/ having heterogeneous HECnet nodes to test
against, RSX 11M+ and VMS.  SETNOD needs some finishing and perhaps some
additional functionality.  I have yet to look at FTS; I don't see how it
can get or generate any traffic at all. The monitor interface (NFT:)
does not appear to be operational. Elsewhere (perhaps Galaxy) appears to
have no submission interface.  Johnny and I have some minor tweaks to
flush out with MAIL11 (in addition to the changes that I've already put in).