[HECnet] Intermittent Connection with PyDECnet?

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 16:09:59 PST 2020

DECnet, like ARPAnet (the predecessor of IP) were designed in an era of
point-to-point (largely synchronous) communications over private lines
and locked down routers (called IMP's or Interface Message Processors).
PC what??  If you control the wires (which AT&T did), the router (which
BBN did) and the (timeshared) CPU (which was the case for large systems
with staff), then the model is not immediately horrifying.

All of that went out the window with broadcast networks (1983),
non-government user owned routers (I.E., Cisco) and PC's. However, you'd
be surprised at how many people out there still think that ACL's for IP
address are sufficient.  Nope.

You can not rely on /anything/ you put out on the Internet getting
snooped unless you secure (I.E., encrypt) and firewall _all_ legs of the
transport.  This is frequently done with NAT'ing routers and IPsec, so
it is largely transparent.  I have installed a large number of these and
they appear to function well.  At least, I haven't gotten nailed yet
through that avenue (as he knocks on wood).

Off the top of my head, the only way to handle credential exchange in a
public setting is to either not do it at all (I.E., allowing limited
ANONYMOUS usage), non-transmitted shared secret (I.E., private key sent
outside of regular channels), asymmetric authentication or information
theoretic secure paradigms.

All of my HECnet hosts are behind a firewall specifically so they can't
be scanned.  The only time I bring a host on the general Internet is to
do regression tests of my FTP server.  Perhaps also when I get around to
implementing some more TELNET options (not having SIGWINCH on Tops-20 is
/really/ annoying).