[HECnet] Effects of Rogue Duplicate HECnet Node?

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 10:13:50 PST 2020

You may be talking about a number of things here.  DECnet node numbers
are something (very) vaguely like IP tuples, except with half the bits
and fixed fields.  The upper 6 bits constitute the area, the lower 10
bits constitute the number within area.  This is what I recall:

 1. If the node number's name is not defined to other systems, then many
    user level programs will not be able to see if. Tops-20 won't able
    to build a connection.
      * Phase II DECnet used node names directly, I think.
 2. If the number is the same as another system in different area, then
    everything is fine except for 1.
 3. If the number is the same as another system in the _same_ area, then
    somebody will become 'unhappy'.
      * I don't remember how the adjacency is reported for point-to-point.
 4. If you think of MAC address clash on the same Ethernet segment as
    opposed to different segments, you may appreciate a similarity.
 5. I don't remember the finer details of the differences between a
    level 1 and 2 router.
      * A level 1 router handles routing through point-to-point in the
        same area.
      * If a different area is requested, then the level 1 router hands
        the packet to a level 2 router.

First, if the node number