[HECnet] Effects of Rogue Duplicate HECnet Node?

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 07:31:16 PST 2020

I never heard of DECnet on SCO, but we ran Ultrix on the first (8650)
and second (8700) VAX's which we got at the data center for
instructional use.  My last use of SCO in the early 2000's timeframe
struck me as a product that was behind the times.  It still didn't have
some features that Ultrix had; Linux and Digital Unix (1990's Alpha) had
far passed it by.

As I recall, Ultrix would accept node"user password account"::, the
account being necessary because the 20's ran real accounting.  I don't
remember the functionality being used much.  Since we got burned with
the cancellation of the 2080, we were not inclined to get locked into
Digital anything, so no LAT anything.  For terminals, we had an
alternate hardware solution (Gandalf PACX) which was more flexible in
some ways that could also connect to our IBM mainframes.  For files, the
vastly additional functionality of DAP was never leveraged; we stuck
with FTP.  We discouraged node"user password account":: as this would
allow shoulder surfing.  We may have modified some of the Ultrix source
to refuse this nomenclature.

Shortly after we got an 8700, we got our first SPARC and essentially
exited any Digital solution afterwards.  DEC tried very hard to keep the
account; we got a large number of micro-vaxes, Pro-350's and the like.
I had a micro-vax (running Ultrix) for about 8 months before I left and
I thought it quite a reasonable little box.  The Pro-350's weren't
really appreciated, this perhaps mostly due to the strange keyboard
which didn't have common keys where they have been for decades.  In
retrospect, I wonder about that as the keyboard wasn't any stranger than
an IBM 3270, which I also used to tweak the HASP (PDP-11) code on the VM
side.

I also used that functionality with our IBM system programmer staff
troubleshoot IBMSPL when it got cranky, which happened a lot in early
releases.  That surprised me as I had known one of the authors (K. Reti)
at Marlboro and he had always struck me as pretty brilliant.  But I was
young and impressionable.

I'm not sure what happened with CCnet after the Columbia data center got
out of the Digital.  We had at least one VAX 11/780 on campus
(Chemistry), but I don't know what they did.  Digital had better luck
with Stevens; for a time, every undergraduate was _required_ to buy a
350 in order to be able to do homework and graduate.

What's strange is what has lasted.  To this day, you can sign on to IBM
mainframe and the only terminal that is supported is a 3270, half
duplex.  They all speak IP6 and HTTPS and everything else, but if you
are going to write a program under TSO...