[HECnet] Effects of Rogue Duplicate HECnet Node?

John Forecast john at forecast.name
Thu Mar 5 12:26:00 PST 2020

> On Mar 5, 2020, at 1:38 PM, Thomas DeBellis <tommytimesharing at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> That's interesting; I thought I recognized the format.  I wonder where in the world I could be remembering it from?  It is surely not parsed by either COMND% or GTJFN% and I don't believe Tops-20 NFT currently allows it.  However, I haven't really gotten into tinkering with NFT, yet.  I'm finishing up some changes to FAL and DAP and then I'm probably going to work with Johnny a bit to iron out some oddities in the email interface (SMTP DECnet and Tops-20 MAIL11).
>
> I keep thinking about implementing rename in Tops-20 DAP, but I just stumbled over what appears to be a BLISS based implementation of FAL and DAP which MRC never seems to have put up.  Maybe it's great.
>
> So what era does Ultrix 2.2 hail from?  I believe we had an early version, something like 1986 or 1987.  However, I doubt they put that syntax in and then took it out.  So do I understand that DECnet wouldn't have been available on Ultrix 1.x?  I can't remember what version we had, which is remarkable because I wrote the entire Id system for it (using Ingress).

DECnet-Ultrix 2.2 is from 1988. There was a version of DECnet for Ultrix 1.x, I think it was 1.2, but it did not have LAT support included. At the end of the DECnet-Ultrix 1.0 project I had a couple of weeks waiting for the next project to get spun up so I implemented LAT host support. Then I found out that the LAT implementation had been promised to the O/S group and, in particular, someone I had been working closely with! I don’t think they ever shipped my implementation.