[HECnet] HPE OpenVMS Hobbyist license program is closing

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sat Mar 7 03:58:45 PST 2020

On 2020-03-07 08:12, Rob Jarratt wrote:
> Yes, I have received it too. I think this is just corporate speak for
> saying that they are closing the hobbyist licensing program, presumably
> because they no longer support VMS. I think they should officially
> release the PAK tool, or allow hobbyists to request non-expiring
> licenses (although that wouldn’t help new hobbyists).

Well, it obviously also would not help VSI, who now "owns" VMS, if they
were to release the PAK tool...

In a sense, a totally expected development. HPE have for a long time
said they are going to get out of VMS. Hobbyist was not expected to fare
any different. It is now truly up to VSI to decide what happens next.

The one, potentially scary thing, is the question of licenses for VAX.
VSI didn't, as far as I can remember, formally take over the VAX side of
things, which could mean that VAX people might be left out in the cold
no matter what VSI does.

   Johnny