[HECnet] HPE OpenVMS Hobbyist license program is closing

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 11:19:05 PST 2020

OK, now I've got it.  I believe this reverse-engineering may have also
happened for TSU's on the 36 bit line.  It is now specifically outlawed
by the Digital Millennium Act, but that hackery undoubtedly predated
it.  One assumes that it was contractually precluded.

But I still find this particular financial speculation compelling; cash
flow in new (younger than a decade) small companies can be a significant
driver for certain kinds of decisions unless they are prodigiously
funded (perhaps by VC). OpenVMS x86_64 may or may not generate a certain
amount of revenue; there is clearly risk there.  However, right now,
it's not generating _anything_, is costing resources and hhas yet to be
delivered.

Hence it follows that a bean counter might be looking around for, you
know, beans...  That could also drive actions on discovery of non-VSI
issued PAK's.  I do not have an informed opinion on PAK tracking nor VSI
funding, VC or otherwise.