[HECnet] HPE OpenVMS Hobbyist license program is closing

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sat Mar 7 15:11:44 PST 2020

On 2020-03-07 22:35, David Moylan wrote:
> [...]

It would be kindof crazy to first sell VMS to VSI, and then essentially
give it away to everyone. I'm sure VSI would not consider that to be ok.

HPE is shutting down, yes. VMS is not shutting down.

>>> Well, it obviously also would not help VSI, who now "owns" VMS, if
> they were to
>>> release the PAK tool...
>
> This will never happen. I too worry that VSI will see hobbyists as a
> potential source of income. While in principal I don't have a problem
> with this concept, if they start charging they need to start offering
> something more. I first got into the DEC hobbyist scene back in 2009 -
> when we had to physically order CD's from Montagar. 11 years later and
> it's still the same code with yearly license keys being the only
> difference. The whole concept of the hobbyist program was to provide
> access to legacy code for legacy machines at no cost with no impact to
> DEC/COMPAQ/HPE.

So we agree that it's not realistic to think they will hand over the
keys. Good. Now we can start talking about some meaningful.

>>> The one, potentially scary thing, is the question of licenses for
> VAX.
>>> VSI didn't, as far as I can remember, formally take over the VAX
> side of things,
>>> which could mean that VAX people might be left out in the cold no
> matter what
>>> VSI does.
>
> As has already been mentioned on the list - don't be concerned about
> this. If it comes to Christmas 2021 and neither the HPE or VSI people
> have come up with something that appeals to hobbyists, I guarantee you
> that Santa will leave you a nice PAK under the tree.

I do not condone suggestions of illegal activities. No matter how subtle
they are put forward.
Let's see what happens, to start with.

But I hope they realize that VAX licenses are where most of the
hobbyists are, and that there is likely not much money to be found
there. And I hope HPE can be talked into allowing VSI to continue
issuing hobbyist licenses for VAXen. But that is a worrying part. HPE
have not always been the most helpful.