[HECnet] US DST

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Mar 8 17:53:26 PDT 2020

On 2020-03-08 23:43, Robert Armstrong wrote:

>> As far as I know, VMS still use local time.
>
>    VMS has had time zones and automatic daylight savings time adjustment since 7.3 or so.
>
>    Actually, when the name changed from VMS to OpenVMS it was because DEC made some attempts to add Posix compatibility.  That brought in a whole bunch of concepts, including time zones.  I believe that's also when we got STREAM-LF and STREAM-CR file organization too.

Are you sure about that?

I must admit I haven't looked beyond 7.3, since I usually play on VAXen,
but I seem to remember clear signs that time is internally still really
localtime.

Also interesting to note is that in a cluster, all machines must have
the same local time, same offset to UTC defined (TDC) and same timezone.
Which strongly suggests that things are not running on UTC.

But I do see that Alpha and Integrity servers have had some further
improvements compared to 7.3 on VAXen. At least changing to/from DST is
more automated.

And there are definitely logical names defined which tells the offset to
UTC, and what rules to use. But of course, that does not tell us for
sure if the time is actually kept in UTC or localtime. And VMS also
seems to like to use the batch system to change between DST and not, at
least on VAX with OpenVMS V7.3.
(Just reading some 8.4 manuals actually, but they do also contain
information about VAXen and 7.3.)