[HECnet] US DST

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Mar 8 18:11:48 PDT 2020

On 2020-03-09 01:53, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> On 2020-03-08 23:43, Robert Armstrong wrote:
>>

>>> As far as I know, VMS still use local time.
>>
>>    VMS has had time zones and automatic daylight savings time
>> adjustment since 7.3 or so.
>>
>>    Actually, when the name changed from VMS to OpenVMS it was because
>> DEC made some attempts to add Posix compatibility.  That brought in a
>> whole bunch of concepts, including time zones.  I believe that's also
>> when we got STREAM-LF and STREAM-CR file organization too.
>
> Are you sure about that?
>
> I must admit I haven't looked beyond 7.3, since I usually play on VAXen,
> but I seem to remember clear signs that time is internally still really
> localtime.

Actually, looking at the 8.4 manuals, I would say it still keeps the
system on local time.

The $BINUTC system call, for example, which is used to get a UTC time,
states clearly in the manual that it applies the TDC factor to local
time in order to get the UTC time, while $BINTIM just says it gets the time.

Additionally, system calls like $SETIMR and $SCHDWK takes local time,
not UTC time, as the time when something is supposed to wake up or cause
something to happen. Which even more strongly points to that internally
VMS is at localtime.

But I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

By the way, Stream-LF and Stream-CR have been around longer than this, I
believe. Not sure when those first showed up. NFT in RSX certainly knows
about them, and have since the early 90s I think.