[HECnet] Intermittent Connection with PyDECnet?

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Mon Mar 9 11:34:39 PDT 2020

> On Mar 9, 2020, at 10:07 AM, Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:
> I haven't used TAP in ages; when I need bridging I use Johnny's bridge.  But the message ("No hardware address") means that PyDECnet tried to find out the MAC address for the interface you mentioned and could not do so.  You can avoid that by specifying an address explicitly.

Hmm. I also got that error when I set the correct hardware address on the tap0 interface before launching pydecnet.

> On Mar 9, 2020, at 10:16 AM, Robert Armstrong <bob at jfcl.com> wrote:
>
>>   circuit tap-0 Ethernet tap:/dev/net/tap0
>
>  FWIW, the "tap:" option in pyDECnet never worked for me.  I use pcap to
> access tap devices -
>
> 	circuit TAP-0 Ethernet pcap:tap0 --single-address --cost=2
>
> works for me with Ubuntu 18.04...

Ah, using the pcap option to talk to the tap virtual device? I'll try that.

And regarding the http server, I pulled out the routing line when pydecnet complained about both it and http existing in the same file, but I didn't catch that I also had to have the routing line defined in a separate file. I'll try that, too.

Dumb question time, because I struggle with VMS: Is there a DECnet equivalent to "ping" that I can use to verify that my emulations can talk to pydecnet? I gather that's what the mirror server is for, but I don't know how to invoke it on the VMS side.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/