[HECnet] Intermittent Connection with PyDECnet?

John H. Reinhardt johnhreinhardt at thereinhardts.org
Mon Mar 9 12:33:34 PDT 2020

On 3/9/2020 11:47 AM, Mark J. Blair wrote:
> I made good progress yesterday on updating my home network setup. I changed my home router/NAT/DHCP/DNS box from FreeBSD to Debian 10.3 "Buster" for various reasons. It's routing and NATing and DHCPing and DNSing, and a simh VAX-11/785 running OpenVMS 7.3 on it can talk DECnet phase IV to another simh VAX-11/785 running on a BeagleBone Green (a small single-board computer) on my LAN. The emulation running on the router connects to a tap device, which is bridged to the physical ethernet interface for my LAN.

Thanks for starting this Mark.  I've been meaning to set up some sort of DECnet router but this is a good push.  I have an Ubquiti EdgeRouter 4 as my firewall/router and I have a separate Raspberry Pi 3B+ as my DNS/DHCP/NTP/anything network service server.  I will probably make the Pi the DECnet router also since it's terribly under-utilized.

Thanks to Paul, too for writing the pyDECnet router.

John H. Reinhardt