[HECnet] Map of HECnet locations

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Tue Mar 10 13:43:08 PDT 2020

> On Mar 10, 2020, at 3:07 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
>
> On 2020-03-10 17:14, Robert Armstrong wrote:
>>   Has anybody done a map (an actual geographic map, not just a list) of HECnet locations?
>
> There was an attempt several years ago, but I think it fizzled out.
>
> It would be interesting. Even better if it could also draw lines between points that have direct connections.
>
> A slight problem is that the physical location of nodes are not always known...

The open source genealogy program Gramps has some similar requirements.  It uses a package "Graphviz" that has lots of charting options.  The documentation for that package shows a network map as one example.

The other thing Gramps does is interface to map services like OpenStreetMap, which suggests ways to make a "geographic map".

	paul