[HECnet] KLH-10 TOPS-10 DECnet Executor Configuration Persistence

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Mar 10 18:25:13 PDT 2020

I've never used Tops-10 as an operator, so I can't answer most of this,
but one question I think I can...

On 2020-03-11 01:50, Supratim Sanyal wrote:
> KLH-10 TOPS-10 noob questions:
>
> 1) At the TOPS-10 boot startup option prompt, I can type in CHANGE and
> then set the DECnet address. How do I make it persist across reboots and
> not have to do this every time?

My understanding is that neither Tops-10, nor TOPS-20 have a persistent
database. Instead you need to have a script that does all the
definitions, and you need to run it at every boot. But I could be
confused about that one.

> 2) At the monitor dot prompt, I can login as 1,2 and R OPR and then
> ENTER NCP etc. What exactly does the SET EXECUTOR NODE xx.yyy do?

.ncp help set exec node
  Use the SET EXECUTOR NODE command to establish the executor node to be
used
  by NCP.  Using this command causes subsequent commands (other than HELP,
  EXIT, or CLEAR EXECUTOR NODE)  to be directed to the remote command
processing
  modules on the specified executor node.  The format is:

     SET EXECUTOR NODE node-id [access-control]

  Where node-id is the node name or node address of the desired executor
node
  and access-control is the information necessary to gain the desired
access.

  On an RSX node, the access control will be used to determine the level of
  privilege allowed in performing network management functions.  A
privileged
  user identification and password results in privileged access, any other
  access control, or lack of it, results in non-privileged access.