[HECnet] PyDECnet

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Mar 13 11:53:52 PDT 2020

On 2020-03-13 17:21, Thomas DeBellis wrote:
> I am very much inclined because it is very much annoying.  llogin does
> work against Tops-20.  Almost.
>
> llogin will sometimes work, often not, but almost always (and often)
> fails without any sort of message whatsoever.  "Sort of" is very
> generous, indeed, Johnny.  You're just silently put back into the
> shell.  Unforgivable.

It is uneven. It seems to work better against some systems than others.
I guess that's what you get from reverse-engineering the protocol from a
specific implementation...

> The only way to get to the bottom of it will be to attach a debugger and
> see what's happening.

Not likely. For a while I entertained the idea of fixing that lat
implementation. But when I started digging around in the code I cam to
realize it's a total chaos, all written in C++.

So it would be better to just rewrite the thing from scratch, and in
some language with some sensibility still left in it.

   Johnny