[HECnet] C compiler for TOPS-10

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 09:04:34 PDT 2020

Your memory jives with mine; I do seem to remember Tops-10 having a C
compiler.  Nothing else, I'm afraid.

Once I get a few more things straightened out with disk allocation, I am
going to continue my quest to download all the DECUS tapes for Tops-10
and Tops-20 and put them on a dual RP07 structure(s).  Lots of
interesting stuff.  If I stumble across it, I'll let you know.

Tops-20 has two C compilers that I am aware of.  KCC, which is natively
hosted and gnu, which will compile for the PDP-10.  I don't know if the
gnu compiler is natively hosted; /another/ thing I've been meaning to
look at.

The integration between C and Tops-10 would be interesting.  Make isn't
directly possible as there are no forks.  I guess you'd write a bunch of
files into TMPCOR and then go make COMPIL swallow them.

I always thought it would be neat to have Tops-20 have in memory files
like TMPCOR.  However, with a typically loaded system (60+ users), that
probably would have been suicidal.