[HECnet] RSX or RSTS

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Mar 20 20:12:04 PDT 2020

On 2020-03-21 04:04, Robert Armstrong wrote:
>    With all this social distancing and staying home, I’ve been dusting
> off old hardware and fixing it up.  I just finished running diagnostics
> on a nice little PDP-11 system.  It is a -
>
>                 PDP-11/53+ with 3.5Mb RAM in a BA123
>
>                 KDA50 and 2xRA73 drives
>
>                 DELQA NI
>
>                 CXA16 16 line mux (DHV11 clone, more or less)
>
>                 TQK70 and TK70 (probably worthless – those things never
> work)
>
>                 SQ739 SCSI controller (does both MSCP and TMSCP!)

Nice setup.

>     I figure I’ll use the SCSI for a CDROM and a tape drive, maybe an
> Exabyte.  Don’t really need more disk space with two RA73s already, and
> I’m sure the SDI is faster than the SCSI.

Actually, I would probably suspect SCSI would outrun the SDI. We have
four RA73 on Magica (11/70), and at home I have SCSI on an 11/93.

So it is a little tricky to do a simple comparison, but I get roughly
two to three times as many I/Os per second on my 11/93 with SCSI.

One big reason is probably that I have fairly "modern" SCSI disks, so
seek times are way better than the RA73s have.

>    So, the question is, what OS should I put on it?  RSX or RSTS?  It
> has to be something that can make good use of the hardware.
>
>    No Unix, please – I’ve already got a nice 11/83 with 2.11bsd on it.
>
>    Ideas?

Of course I would vote RSX. :-)

Well, actually, have you used either OS before? If you feel familiar
with one or the other, it might be a good starting point.

With RSX, you do have TCP/IP, and a bit more DECnet functionality, but
otherwise I don't think the difference between them are that big. They
certainly are rather different, but if you're alone on the system more
or less, it makes less of a difference.

And by the way, the TK70 I have found to generally be pretty good a
reliable. The TK50 is the horrible one. At most, I have needed to clean
the heads on TK70, but otherwise they usually run just fine. But if I
get a TK50, I might as well just toss it out...