[HECnet] RSX or RSTS

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sat Mar 21 09:31:41 PDT 2020

On 2020-03-21 16:30, Robert Armstrong wrote:
>> Steve Davidson <steve at davidson.net>
>> With two drives why not put both operating systems on.
>
>    Not a bad idea...  Just out of curiosity, can RSX mount RSTS file systems or vice versa?  So I could share user files between the two systems if I did that?

Nope. :-(
The common way to share files were to have a separate disk with an RT-11
file system on it, which pretty much all DEC OSes could access...

But, with that said, if you feel adventurous, it is certainly possible
to add more file systems for RSX... It's just another ACP in the end.

>> do you have stock in your local electric company?
>
>    PG&E ?!?  I certainly hope not (although I have to admit that my retirement plan might have their stock in the portfolio - it's pretty common to do so).  After their last rate hikes, I think the current baseline PG&E rate is 12 cents/kWh, and tier 1 (which I end up in most of the time) is about 19 cents/kWh.  I can't afford to leave any of the old computers running 24x7.  I'd like to, but it's just not possible.  Instead I run simh on some Intel Atom thing.  The whole PC, including the SSD, uses about 10-15W and can simulate a whole garage full of old computers, each one faster than the original hardware.  Kinda sad in a way, but that's progress...
>
>    I'll have to measure the power draw of the 11/53 and BA123.  I don't think it really uses 625W - that's just what the power supplies are rated for, maximum - but it'd be interesting to see the real figure.

It will most definitely be less than that. You really have to stuff a
lot of power hungry things into the box before you get close to the
rated max.