[HECnet] Bringing up a MicroVAX 3100-80

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Mar 26 17:06:36 PDT 2020

On 3/26/20 7:57 PM, Supratim Sanyal wrote:
> I have obtained a MicroVAX 3100-80 with a Storageworks pizza box, a
> CD-ROM drive, a tape drive, some cables and no monitor.
>
> It powers on, does not smoke or explode. The 8 LEDs at the back settle
> down to all on except 2 and 3 counting from zero on the right. I can
> hear a hard disk spin up.
>
> The cables include two MMJs. I have a PC with a 9-pin female serial
> connector. It runs Linux.
>
> The first two of many questions: does the “0” connector connect to the
> console? What exactly do I need to do to connect the PC’s serial port to
> the MMJ cable? Note: I have passable soldering skills.
>
> Next question will be about the BNC connector and networking. One thing
> at a time.

  Very cool!  Those are wonderful systems.

  The console is on port 3.  Connect it to your Linux box via the
appropriate chain of adapters.  If you don't get any output, insert a
null modem into the mix and try again.

 (Yes, I know the DTE/DCE rules.  The above approach is by far the
quickest way to get something talking if you know it's only doing 2/3/7
anyway.)

> Here are some pictures: https://photos.app.goo.gl/KduorZEimMQ73bMdA

  Beautiful!