[HECnet] Bringing up a MicroVAX 3100-80

John H. Reinhardt johnhreinhardt at thereinhardts.org
Thu Mar 26 18:40:08 PDT 2020

On 3/26/2020 6:57 PM, Supratim Sanyal wrote:
> I have obtained a MicroVAX 3100-80 with a Storageworks pizza box, a CD-ROM drive, a tape drive, some cables and no monitor.
>
> It powers on, does not smoke or explode. The 8 LEDs at the back settle down to all on except 2 and 3 counting from zero on the right. I can hear a hard disk spin up.
>
> The cables include two MMJs. I have a PC with a 9-pin female serial connector. It runs Linux.
>
> The first two of many questions: does the “0” connector connect to the console? What exactly do I need to do to connect the PC’s serial port to the MMJ cable? Note: I have passable soldering skills.
>
> Next question will be about the BNC connector and networking. One thing at a time.
>
> Here are some pictures: https://photos.app.goo.gl/KduorZEimMQ73bMdA
>
> Thanks in advance
> Supratim
>
> ---
> Supratim Sanyal, W1XMT
> 39.19151 N, 77.23432 W
> QCOCAL::SANYAL via HECnet <http://www.update.uu.se/~bqt/hecnet.html>

I have a MicroVAX 3100 Model 95.  The backside is nearly identical to yours.  The OPA0: port is #3 (don't ask me why)

This web site has just about everything you want to know about DEC modular wiring and their parts (plus a lot more, check out the RS-232 pages)).

<https://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/cable/dec-mmj#bc16>

--
John H. Reinhardt