[HECnet] Bringing up a MicroVAX 3100-80

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Mar 27 09:27:50 PDT 2020

On 3/27/20 8:08 AM, Fred wrote:
>>> Here are some pictures: https://photos.app.goo.gl/KduorZEimMQ73bMdA
>>
>>  Beautiful!
>
> I think the most good looking part of that is the Storageworks pizza box.

  Oh yes, those are fantastic.  We just got a few of those at LSSM not
long ago.

> I am used to the "bigger" variants that are either DEC or Compaq logo'ed
> with the 4GB SCSI drives in those dark blue/grey/beige cases.

  Yes, those are great.  The only issue with them is that their AC power
supplies have started dropping like flies, and while I can SEE the
capacitor that has failed, I cannot reasonably get to it to replace it.
 There is a big metal cage, which doubles as a heat sink, over the
entire board that is soldered to it at several places.

  We now have a stack of six that have failed.