[HECnet] DECnet-RT?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Mar 27 09:38:00 PDT 2020

On 3/27/20 11:47 AM, Robert Armstrong wrote:
>   But that's another curious thing - there ARE drivers included with RT11
> for the DEUNA, DEQNA and the Pro series Ethernet NI.  What was the point of
> those?  Did DEC think people would write their own networking software?

  I know of one project that did.  But it wasn't a matter of "adding
networking capability to the OS".  An Ethernet interface is nearly
always thought of as that, of course, but that doesn't have to be the
case.  Fast application-level communication between nodes without going
through the OS (other than the device driver) can be handy for
low-latency communications.

  But then again, I only saw it once. ;)