[HECnet] DECnet-RT?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Mar 27 17:46:24 PDT 2020

On 2020-03-28 01:29, Paul Koning wrote:

>>>    There are no device drivers included with RT11 for anything that I
>>> recognize as a synchronous interface, so I would assume it only supported a
>>> standard asynchronous serial port.
>>
>> That don't necessarily mean much. With RSX, DECnet has its own device drivers.
>
> I should have remembered that.  No idea if that applies to RT-11.  RSTS is different: it uses the standard device drivers, but with some additional I/O request function codes.  DMC use direct by applications was always supported.  I'm not sure if application use of Ethernet was supported, or whether it works (and if not, how hard that would be to fix).

One "annoying" thing with DECnet under RSX is that this means you must
have a separate controller for serial ports if you want to talk DECnet
on any, and use others as normal terminal ports, since they cannot
co-exist on the same controller. Either the DECnet device driver manages
the controller, or the TTDRV device driver manages it. All ports goes to
one usecase or the other. Mixing is not possible...