[HECnet] RT-11 filesystems, was Re: DECnet-RT?

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Tue Mar 31 16:47:13 PDT 2020

> On Mar 31, 2020, at 5:45 PM, Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:
>
> I've forgotten to be honest -- IIRC, no formatting was needed like a traditional tape drive.   But it is possible we may have had a program to do the formatting and I've just forgotten it. I do remember that it was a very simple, saturation scheme. We had a scope on the read electronics of the TA11 and decoded it all.   NRZ style, 8-bit bytes, no parity, fixed blocks with a prefix and suffix - serial encoding (unlike a 7/9-track) - which is why the capacity is so low.

Was it really RT-11?  I don't remember that it had TA11 support, and given that it's like a magtape, not block addressable, it's hard to see how it could be the system device.

DEC had an early software package called CAPS-11.  I know nothing about it other than the name and the fact that it was there to support the TA-11.

	paul