[HECnet] HECnet map

Tomas Prybil tomas at prybil.se
Fri May 1 01:40:12 PDT 2020

Absolutely fantastic to see all the sites and nodes around the globe.
Thank You Paul for visualizing this for us.

@Johnny, Area 34 could better be localized in Båtbyggartorp (59.521926, 17.847988) if You would have the time to update the database so we don't just cluster everything belonging to Stockholm in one dot. I'd really like to have ROLL's PDP-10 in my shed, but It wasn't there last time I looked :)

If I could put in a request for future development it would be to add support to other kinds of links if possible as Area34 currently only connects to other peers via tunneled ip/gre links.

Again big thanks!

/t

Den 2020-05-01 01:57 skrev "owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE på uppdrag av Paul Koning" <owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE på uppdrag av paulkoning at comcast.net> följande:

    Gentlepeople,

    I've added a map maker to PyDECnet, which is now on-line on HECnet.  It currently refreshes once every 24 hours, showing locations and paths between the locations.  You can hover over the location markers to see nodes that have been recently observed, or click on the markers to see all nodes whether observed or not.  Clicking on the connecting arcs will tell you which nodes have connections on that path.

    The map is here: http://akdesign.dyndns.org:8080/map

    You can also see a tabular display of the data collected by the network scanner, at http://akdesign.dyndns.org:8080/map/data .  Right now that link isn't shown, I'll add that.

    Feedback would be welcome.  There is no map legend yet.  The button on the upper right is the "layers" tool that lets you chose among a number of map sources, and lets you turn the location and/or path information on or off.

    The default map is OpenStreetMap, and the mapping interface machinery is the Leaflet package, a very nice and easy to use tool.

    	paul