[HECnet] HECnet map

Supratim Sanyal supratim at riseup.net
Fri May 1 06:32:31 PDT 2020

Paul,

On 5/1/20 9:01 AM, Paul Koning wrote:
> The network scanner looks at every node mentioned in the node database plus every node it can see as reachable.  Roughly speaking, it makes a NICE connection (remote network management protocol) to each node, then asks it three questions: "show exec characteristics", "show active circuits" and "show active nodes".  The first questions answers "what type of node is this" and also gets the node name if we don't already know it.  The other two give the adjacent nodes, i.e., the connections from this node to its neighbors.  Often but not always, that information includes the node type of the adjacent nodes.

I have been doing HECnet scan for ages;
https://gist.github.com/tuklusan/4666755385686ebaeb4eb1aa0e9f4a5c runs
every two weeks and produces
http://sanyalnet-openvms-vax.freeddns.org:82/falserver/hecnet-status.html

Line #147 has my hack that tells me if anything is there, even if there
is no NML on that node (e.g.Cisco switches) or that node is a PHASE-V
node, etc.

People do not seem to mind the single odd MIRROR login failure from
account SANYAL every two weeks either. I have only had a couple of
emails asking about it.

Regards,
Supratim