[HECnet] Cisco DECnet routers and NML

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Mon May 4 19:13:44 PDT 2020

Let me clarify this a bit.  Leaving LAT aside, Tops-10 and Tops-20
implement two remote terminal protocols for DECnet.  The Digital common
one is CTERM, which runs on all (or most) platforms.  Unfortunately,
there are some minor problems with the current Tops-20 CTERM
implementation that are annoying.  For example, you can't use space as
an un-pause character, which I've been doing since about 1978.  Fixing
it (if possible) means I've got to wade into the monitor and that could
mean months before I come back up for air.

I remembered a previous remote terminal protocol (NRT) that I think was
available in either late Phase II or Phase III, but only between 20's
(and eventually 10's).  It is in no way as rich as CTERM (the difference
perhaps being reminiscent of that between FTP and DAP), but it is far
less complex.  It appears to have been modeled in some ways along the
lines of the Tops-20 ARPA NCP NVT (without the IAC negotiations).  The
interface is close enough so that the Tops-20 TELNET program can use it.

However, the Tops-20 NRT CLIENT (SETHOST) appears to have been
effectively abandoned in favor of the CTERM client and this is
understandable, given that CTERM was the common platform and corporate
direction.  That it is unfortunate as NRT is more efficient.  Most
importantly, NRT doesn't have the above annoyances.   But SETHOST needed
further productization.  Like FAL/DAP, bugs hurtled out of it as I
started using it.  MRC had modified it to assume a 2020 (I.E., Tops-20
4.2) which denied other efficiencies.  Right now, I've got about eight
fixes and enhancements in.  It's quite tolerable.

The other reason for dusting off NRT is that would allow run FAL with
the proper credentials as the top-level fork of a separate job.  Right
now, it runs privileged, (either SC%WHL or SC%OPR on Tops-20 or JACCT or
[1,2] on Tops-10.   Although checking is done, this is still A Bad Idea.
The FTP server, for example runs as a top-level fork.  The changes to
the Tops-20 NRT server are very small to allow me to do the same thing
with FAL.

If other DECnet based operating systems support NRT, then I would like
to know about that.  Right now, the client checks the remote OS and
won't connect if it isn't Tops-10 or Tops-20.