[HECnet] Cisco DECnet routers and NML

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue May 5 13:43:23 PDT 2020

The potential win with CTERM was that much processing could actually be
done locally, instead of having to travel back and forth between the
machines for every key stroke.

Essentially it's like RPC. Or, as Paul put it, basically the whole QIO
interface mapped to a protocol. And it might be hard to understand what
this actually means. The terminal driver in RSX and VMS are probably the
most complicated driver there is. It can do almost anything with a
single I/O request. Reading? Sure. With promps? Yes. And timeouts?
Definitely. No echo? Yup. Terminating on arbitrary characters?
Absolutely. With special processing for escape sequences? Yup. With
prepopulated input? No problem. All in one QIO... And there is more...
There is a pretty large section in the manual set just dealing with the
terminal driver in RSX.

All of this then, obviously, needs to be somewhat implemented in any
other system that talks CTERM. Which absolutely does not map to how
terminal I/O is done on some other systems.

CTERM was just the absolute wrong abstraction layer to use for a network
terminal system. Sure, the abstraction and offloading might look
tempting, but the complexity equally so. And really, in the end, each
system already know how to deal with a stream of bytes, since that is
what any physical serial interface controller will give you. That is the
lowest common denominator. That is pretty much what they should have done.

If DAP is an example, where there is actually a lot of value added by
the protocol, and where there are things that I can say I sometimes
really miss when dealing with TCP/IP using FTP, NFS or whatnot, CTERM is
the perfect example of when DEC really did it wrong, and telnet is a
dream in comparison.

   Johnny