[HECnet] Cisco DECnet routers and NML

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue May 5 15:05:21 PDT 2020

On 5/5/20 5:22 PM, Paul Koning wrote:
>>> The Cisco DECnet router implementation does not speak "decnet management" as
>>> we all knew. The way we are using them the tunnel end-points are on the Internet.
>>>
>>> Most of the information "missing" is actually available through the SNMP MIB,
>>> so if we could agree on a common read-only community and publish the IP addresses
>>> of those routers it would be possible to complete Paul's map..
>>>
>> I would definitely be up for that. Maybe "hecnet-ro" for the community name?
>>
>> Regards, Tim.
>
> Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be feasible.  The issue is that my ISP blocks SNMP outbound -- I have no idea why they would so such a thing.  And as far as I can tell there isn't any way to tell Cisco to accept incoming SNMP requests on any port other than the standard one.

  I would be on the phone with them cursing a blue streak.  I mean, do
they sell you a damn net connection, or not?  There's life outside of
port 80!  Wow.

  One thing you might be able to do is create a port mapping coming into
whatever terminates the "web browsing connection" from your upstream
provider, on some port that they don't presume to block, forwarding back
to port 161 on the Cisco.