[HECnet] Cisco DECnet routers and NML

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Tue May 5 20:17:47 PDT 2020

Spectacular is quite the word.  I was thinking 'legendary' might be more
apt.  Indeed, even after 10 or 20 years, I would hear about some grudges
that were still being kept.

You have to wonder whether the other lines got cancelled just so
management could have some piece and quiet.

It's really a shame because at least at one point there was a kind of a
mutual admiration society among some groups.  The 36 bit/PDP-8 line
comes to mind.  We mainframe types would look at the latest 8 stuff and
say, "Wow, how in the world did you get it to do that?".  One comment in
VTECO really gave us a laugh, "How does all this work?  KLUDGES".  But
there was a lot of pride (rightful in my opinion).  And the 8 people
would look at the big iron in wonder; "Wow, look at all those registers,
instructions and memory; boy could I do plenty with that!"

But it wasn't just a lot of talented and loyal engineers that had the
rug pulled out...

The effect on some of the larger customers (particularly those with
millions of man hours of unportable code) was absolutely electric.  I
remember the screaming in some of the meetings downtown.  I knew of some
installations that completely walked away from anything that DEC had to
sell; not interested in doing business.  Ever.  That's understandable,
but also a shame; the Alpha really was incredible.