[HECnet] Cisco DECnet routers and NML

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Thu May 7 12:53:26 PDT 2020

> On May 7, 2020, at 3:15 PM, John Forecast <john at forecast.name> wrote:
>

>> On May 7, 2020, at 1:03 PM, Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> The mapper uses "show exec char", "show act node status", and "show act circ status".  For exec char, all it needs is name and type.  For act node, it wants node id/name, plus the circuit and type if the node is adjacent, though it can do without since some other implementations don't implement that.  For act circ it needs the node id/name.
>>
> I think I have all that. I’ve been playing with changing the format for id/name so that if the name is not present, I only send the id - this stops VMS displaying a node as “4.19 ()” and makes it “4.19”. So a node will be sent as CM-2, DU-2, AI-6 if a name is present and CM-1, DU-2 if not.
>
>   John.

That's correct, and the network management architecture spec makes this explicit -- it shows those parameters as CM-1/2.  More in general, you will see CM-x/y/z in a bunch of places, to indicate that coded multiple replies are expected but the number of elements will depend on circumstances.   For example the (rather obscure) "owner" and "user" parameters for circuit are CM-2/3, and there's a logging parameter described as CM-2/3/4/5.

	paul