[HECnet] BQTCP without DECnet

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Sun May 10 14:16:22 PDT 2020

True.  Kermit can be tuned to be pretty fast.  In 2001, when the KLH10
micro-engine became generally available, Frank da Cruz (one of the
original authors) updated the Tops-20 version to support long packets.
The Tops-20 version is one of the two original versions (the other being
the 'micro' version).

I have a bit of a background in Kermit.  I had the office across the
hall from Frank in 710 Watson and he was my boss for several years.
Here is the actual reason Kermit was created and why it does some of the
things it does.  Around 1982, the first micro showed up at Columbia.  I
don't remember the model, but it wasn't anything IBM.  I think maybe it
was a SuperBee running CP/M.  The floppy drives on it were immediately
recognized by staff as a good solution to user storage which we were
perennially short of.  This was a common problem with time-sharing sites
that did not have direct funding models.

So getting data down from the 20 was pretty easy; you just check parity
and, at 4800 baud, the micro could keep up because it  had nothing else
to do.  That wasn't the case with uploads.  Shove too much data into
RSX20F of the time and it would roll over and drop dead.  There was some
eventual logic put in to determine whether a line might hyper-active or
ringing, but that hadn't happened, yet.  This isn't anything against the
front end; it was designed with DH11 fifo's in mind and users who, in
bursts, could /maybe/ do 10 characters a second (I.E., about 110 baud).

The front end's dismise would drop carrier on the remote terminals,
promptly throwing all the poor users off.  And then all of them would
desperately try to get on again in order to not lose their work.  So the
poor front end would finish rebooting only to suffer the same fate again
and again...   You had to come in via a network virtual terminal and run
a program that could tell you what was going on (by SNOOP%'ing BIGBUF)
to figure out what was going on.

So we made some experiments to determine what the maximum length of the
line was that the front end could swallow before being choking.  It also
turned out that there were some input characters that weren't
particularly welcome, either.  That's why Kermit quotes control
characters and some other things and had an input line length of between
64 and 70 characters.

But it's not exactly 1989.  I got a hold of Tops-20 in early 2003 and
immediately set about fixing bugs, polishing things up and generally
making myself at home.  Why?  The performance of the BBN FTP server was
pretty awful, but I didn't immediately see why (even thought I fixed
some bugs).  It eventually got to the point that I punted it and rewrote
the whole thing from scratch.  Download speeds went from 10's of
kilobits to low megabits; about a %1,500 increase.  Uploads were another
problem; they just wedged.  This behavior happens with FAL, too.  I
remember using the NI (and CI) and the direction of the transfer did not
make any difference in speed.

So the problem appears to be the NI simulator, which I've been looking
at on and off.  I had to make some changes to it in order for DECnet to
come up seamlessly on Ubuntu.  Problem is, I'd rather hack assembler.
I'll get to it.

Were it not for Kermit, I wouldn't have anyway to get anything into the
20 except by virtual tapes (which work fine). Naturally, I found a
couple of bugs and other things that annoyed me, so I made some updates
and gave them to Frank and MRC.  My last change was in March of 2005
(I'm SLOGIN). The maximum rate that I've been able to upload to the 20
over either LAT or TVT is about 3,000 baud, still with a line length of
70.  Better than nothing...