[HECnet] UPS driven OPC$CRASH?

G. gerry77 at mail.com
Sun May 31 12:25:21 PDT 2020

On Sat, 30 May 2020 13:14:12 -0400, Supratim Sanyal wrote:

> What are you guys doing to get something like OPC$CRASH invoked when a UPS
> signals it is on battery?
>
> I have serial connectivity to TTAx ports on a Microvax 3100-80 running OVMS
> 7.3. Recommendations on a UPS?
>
> Generally how do you get a VAX to shut down immediately on UPS going on
> battery?

What about a batch DCL procedure waiting for something to appear on the
serial port? If you do not want to rely on batch processing you could do the
same with a detached process running either LOGINOUT.EXE and the same DCL
procedure or some home-made HLL program performing the same actions. If you
are really tight on battery time you could just set up the relevant OPC$*
logicals and call OPC$CRASH.EXE otherwise you could just run SHUTDOWN.COM
and let it do everything it's needed.

I have some faint recollection of something ready-made but I do not remember
anymore if it was in some SPL or in the Freeware.

HTH, :)
G.