[HECnet] DECnet for Linux Bug Fixes

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Nov 6 15:51:48 PST 2020

On 2020-11-06 20:47, John Forecast wrote:

>> On Nov 6, 2020, at 10:20 AM, Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I had serious problems using it to talk to RSX in the past (many years ago). Have you tried accessing in both directions between an RSX node and that? It might be it has been improved a lot since I tried, but I am a little concerned that it's mostly just been tested against VMS.
>>
>> You're right, the initial testing was against VMS, but it wasn't all that long after that I spent a bunch of time getting it to work better with others.  For example, that's why the "old remote terminal protocol" is implemented in Linux.
>>

> It also tries to pretend that it is VMS, both nml and fal. I’ve written new versions of both; nml2 no longer responds to VMS system specific commands and fal2 mostly uses user-defined codes for OS and file system types (TOPS-10 and, probably TOPS-20, complain about unknown remote system types and generate bad directory listings so for those systems it claims to be Ultrix-32).

I don't think RSX do any special handling independent of what kind of
remote system, but I can check a bit more if wanted. One thing that I
like, though, is that RSX can tell what the remote system identifies as:

.nft legato::/id
NFT -- Version V9.0
Local NFARs V8   DAP V7.1 Buffer size=  2064. OS=RSX-11M+  FS=FCS-11
DC=Yes
Remote FAL  V5   DAP V7.2 Buffer size=  2064. OS=VAX/VMS   FS=RMS-32
DC=Yes