[HECnet] PyDECnet and IPv6

David Moylan djm at wiz.net.au
Mon Nov 30 22:00:51 PST 2020

I use a lot of Cisco enterprise kit. The SOHO stuff as mentioned is just rebadged Linksys and similar - it's in no way similar in any fashion.

When I'm not using Cisco, however, my absolute favourite vendor is Ubiquiti. I use a whole range of their products.

I really like their Edgerouter range of products. If you are not familiar, these are essentially linux boxes running VyOS with a nice WebUI on top.
Perfect for both console hackers and also people who prefer web user interfaces.

I especially like their ease of use for traffic shaping. They also feature a variety of VPN support including OpenVPN and can be configured for failover services.

I'm currently trying to get mine up and going with IPv6 with my ISP. One of my friends with a very similar config has it up and running.

Unfortunately my home internet has a dynamic IP address. I currently have my PyDECnet instance at home connected via Multinet to the office where I run another PyDECnet instance that runs as the area router for area 35, so I don't think I'll be able to test this IPv6 code at the moment.

I also have plans to change the PyDECnet home to office connection to use a wireguard connection rather than Multinet to make things a little more secure.

Cheers, Wiz!!