[HECnet] VMS on AlphaServer 5000

Wilm Boerhout wboerhout at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 04:11:59 PDT 2020

Mark Wickens schreef op 8-10-2020 om 13:06:
> Buy the bike Keith!
>

> On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 at 12:00, Keith Halewood
> <Keith.Halewood at pitbulluk.org <mailto:Keith.Halewood at pitbulluk.org>>
> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     I’ve trawled through HECnet emails for enlightenment around alpha
>     systems running VMS and I believe I’m not repeating the question.
>     So here goes.
>
>     There’s an DEC Alphaserver 5000 (white case) (EV56) floating a few
>     miles away from where I live. It’s running NT, so there’s an
>     AlphaBIOS. Is there a ‘hidden’ SRM in that machine and therefore
>     is it able to run current (HPE at least) versions of VMS? I don’t
>     want to end up with a machine running NT – my life has enough
>     horror in it already. I had a look on HP’s FTP site at firmware
>     updates and the Alphaserver 5000 isn’t even mentioned, or at least
>     not in plain text.
>
>     I nearly bought a reasonably loaded Itanic RX2600 a few days ago
>     but chickened out at the last minute. What I really should do is
>     abandon all of this and buy a new motorbike.
>
>     Keith

    Alpha Motorcycles Limited

Adres
<https://www.google.com/search?q=alpha+motorcycles+limited+adres&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAOPgE-LWT9c3LEs3yTLMSdaSzU620s_JT04syczPgzOsElNSilKLixexyifmFGQkKuTml-QXJVcm56QWK-Rk5maWpKYoJIKUAACB-LTuUAAAAA&ludocid=13570109851225678827&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiglP6D7qTsAhXMsaQKHTIHCwkQ6BMwBHoECAwQBw>:944-946
London Rd, Leigh-on-Sea, Southend-on-Sea, Leigh-on-Sea SS9 3NF,

Best of both ?