[HECnet] VMS on AlphaServer 5000

Kari Uusimäki uusimaki at exdecfinland.org
Thu Oct 8 06:31:09 PDT 2020

Hello Keith,

Indeed, there is a way to make the white Alphaservers run VMS.The difference is minimal between the servers themselves, but sometimes the adapters and peripherals could be different in the white Alphas and don't work with VMS. Therefore you should check which adapters there are in the box. Examples of not working ones are Adaptec SCSI-adapters and various Graphics adapters. You need to enable the SRM firmware instead of the AlphaBIOS and then create a short script which is run at boot time.If you want to do it I can send you the detailed instructions.Kari