[HECnet] Third Release of Route20 User Mode DECnet Router

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Oct 11 16:24:00 PDT 2020

While I don't think we ever figured out what was changing ports, it is a
well known behavior of NAT routers that the can change the source port
of UDP packets. It is often possible to configure things in such a way
that it don't happen, but you need to know where it happens first,
before that can be done.

I actually have had, for many years, a solution in the bridge to work
around this, if ever needed because it is outside of the control of
either party. I thought I had mentioned it, but maybe I haven't.
The character '*' before a hostname means that the entry will accept
packets from any port from the remote machine, and packets sent back
will be sent to the same port packets are coming in on.

But it's a noticeable decrease of security that I'm not too happy about,
so I tend to try and make people figure out how to configure their NAT
first.

   Johnny