[HECnet] RaspberryDECnet for x86/x64 linux system?

John Forecast john at forecast.name
Mon Oct 19 10:02:17 PDT 2020

On Oct 19, 2020, at 12:26 PM, Timothy Stark <fsword007 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I was going to install RaspberryDECnet on my Linux VM (running on PC) but is only designed for Raspberry Pi cards.  Will they work on x86/x64 linux distros or Ubuntu 20.04?

The Raspberry Pi (and PiOS in particular is where I do all my testing). I did have it running on an early Debian Buster release (both 32- and 64-bit versions). It should work on Ubuntu but I haven’t done any testing and you will have to work out the correct build procedure. The current kernel code has been tested as far as kernel 5.4.70.

> I am waiting for new Pi Case 40 package that I backed on Kickstarter and submitted survey on backerkit soon. I am also getting 2 Pi 4 8GB cards.  New Pi Case 40 now provide new SSD slot for larger SSD drives.
>
> I did not see any lat login programs on that because it is not part of DECnet kit.  Are you still working on LAT login programs and latd daemon server?  I have old DECnet for Linux package that includes lat login programs. There is a copy of LAT specification on bitsavers.

I have no plans to to work on the LAT protocol. You may be able to use the older programs but any kernel mode code will probably need changing.

  John.