[HECnet] [simh] Decnet8: Who has any knowledge about this product and has seen it actually working in whatever versions? Cross post from Hecnet --> @John

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Thu Oct 22 13:14:44 PDT 2020

> On Oct 22, 2020, at 3:43 PM, R. Voorhorst <R.Voorhorst at swabhawat.com> wrote:
>
> @John Forecast:
>
> Hi John,
>
> The oddity is just the other way around ….
>
> The release date of the primitive software, say Phase-I+ is dated at 8-april-1977.
> The Nip printout is dated 28-dec-1976 which aligns with your story.
>
> So why ship something clearly broken with an obvious simple bug that should have been easily catched with a minor level of release quality control.
> When the Pdp8 development was dropped around may-1977, why not release the current stuff instead?
> Some form of date editing in the software was clearly done on package level as the date 8-apr-77 appears all over the place, but why for a product at that time already 1-3 years ago?

My memory must be fading, because the Phase I vs. Phase II discussion Johnny referred to doesn't ring bells.

Given that you have actual software and it's approaching running status, we'll soon know by examination.  As soon as you start making NSP connections, it's very clear.  This is where Phase I and Phase II are different and incompatible.

	paul