[HECnet] PyDECnet 1.0-556

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Fri Sep 4 13:52:44 PDT 2020

> On Sep 4, 2020, at 1:27 PM, Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> Gentlepeople,
>
> I finally got around to merging and testing the Linux support for "TAP mode Ethernet.  It's now in the code and works in my tests (and others have confirmed this).
>
> Thanks to Keith Halewood for the code.

Fantastic! I just connected to HECnet for the very first time using version 552 with a manually applied tap patch. I'm running PyDECnet under Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster). Then I updated to version 556 and tested again, and everything still seems happy. Hooray!

> PS. I'm considering moving the code from my home Subversion server to Github.  Any feedback on that idea?

I think that is a fine idea. I serve up all of my public code via gitlab.com (same idea; different server).

One think I like about the github and gitlab servers is that anybody viewing the repository via the web interface will get to see the top-level README.txt file automatically. If you rename it to README.md and use markdown formatting, then it'll even be rendered with fancy formatting, but will still be nearly plain text when viewed outside of a markdown renderer.

--
Mark J. Blair <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/