[HECnet] integrity and alpha hardware

David Moylan djm at wiz.net.au
Fri Sep 4 19:40:09 PDT 2020

Greetings all,

Now that VSI has their Hobbyist program all under way, we can get licensing for Integrity and Alpha hardware.
(the future is obviously x86 which is progressing well and I'm looking very forward to. The hobbyist program will cover x86 once it has been released)

I was thinking of trying to find an older Integrity or Alpha server to run OpenVMS but I'm struggling to find any real comparative performance comparison between the different models.

Most of the old forum posts on HP link to dead articles.

Alpha hardware still seems to be very high priced, but I'm starting to see some Integrity equipment coming down in price.

How does something like an Integrity rx1620 stack up? Would there be any sense in purchasing a single CPU version of this server?

If anyone has a list or can provide information on the different Integrity and Alpha platforms available that would be great.
I totally understand that performance comparison is an "it depends" question, but I'm just after some reality checks here, ie: a specific Integrity server might have "twice" the average performance of a different Alpha box and it might be cheaper, thus better bang per buck.

Can anyone help me out here?

The box will just be for hobbyist purposes. I'll probably setup a mail gateway and perhaps usenet and some other things to play with.

If it's relevant (for suggestions of anyone selling refurbed hardware), I'm located in Australia.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers, Wiz!!