[HECnet] PyDECnet 1.0-556

Todd Goodman tsg at bonedaddy.net
Sat Sep 5 05:58:44 PDT 2020

I hated git when I first had to use it but now I quite like it after
getting used to it (and I've had to learn and get used to every CMS/RCS
system I've ever used, from RCS to CVS to Subversion to git with
ClearCase thrown in there and probably some others I'm not remembering).

Some reasons why I didn't like git when I first started using it:

1) the commands are cryptic at first

2) the version is on the entire repository for each commit instead of
individual files

3) it was new and I didn't want to learn a new system when I was just
trying to get work done

4) Why the hell do we need a new system when we have so many others that
are working well?

the reasons I like it now:

1) a full git clone makes the clone a full representative of the source
repository (with all commit history if extra clone command line options
didn't do a shallow clone or something).  This means that you
effectively have backups of the repository all over the place in
addition to the backups of the server hosting the "official" repository

2) it's powerful enough to do all the diffs, lists, builds, etc from
head of any branch, any commit, etc that I need to do when delivering,
maintaining, developing complicated software

3) I've now learned it so it's second nature to do what I want to do with it

I've experienced two kinds of people at places where git is required
(w*rk), those who have no interest or desire to learn about the tools
they use and those who want to know all about the tools they use and
become proficient with them (and the former generally have to get help
from the latter quite often)

If course, if you're not forced to learn a new system then it kind of
depends upon each person on whether they find that sort of thing useful,
maybe fun, maybe interesting or boring and a waste of time.

Todd