[HECnet] Here there be dragons...

John Yaldwyn jy at xtra.co.nz
Sat Sep 5 13:58:31 PDT 2020

Hi Paul,

The whole of New Zealand was originally connected to Arpanet at 9600 bps via the University of Waikato in the 80's when our work email was updated twice daily using UUCP.

At that time "high speed" local computing access was a 3274 controller connected via 2400 bps leased line to a local computer centre and we booked access to the four shared terminal in hourly blocks.

You can imagine how we all felt when the luxury of a shiny new 780 arrived with terminals for everyone that wanted one.

John