[HECnet] Introducing some Australian fauna to HECnet

Tony Nicholson tony.nicholson at computer.org
Sat Sep 5 19:20:43 PDT 2020

 G'day fellow HECnet enthusiasts!

In the past week I decided to jump in and join up my little home network of
Digital animals to HECnet.  With the assistance of Johnny Billquist, David
Moylan (Wiz) and the brilliant piece of PyDECnet routing code by Paul
Koning running on a Raspberry Pi - I'm now up and online!

You'll see my machines pop up as 35.6xx nodes; and, as soon as I organise
things, I'll put some files up for perusal in the default DECnet accounts -
(they're empty now though).

I'm located at Newcastle, NSW in Australia and nudging over 45 years
contact with systems from PDP-11's through VAXen and on to Alpha... along
with various Cisco, Sun, CDC3500, ICL1904A, HP2100, HP1000 systems plus
microcomputers from the 8080, SC/MP, Z80 era up to now.

Johnny says I have "quite a list" of machines.. so I'll give a partial list
here (node names in brackets) -

RSTS/E V10.1 running on Raspberry Pis under SIMH PDP11 (DINGO and GALAH) -
the latter is a PiDP11 mini 11/70 front panel.

RSX11M-Plus V4.6 running on the same Raspberry Pi as DINGO under SIMH PDP11
(RUSTY)

OpenVMS VAX V7.3 on a Vaxstation-3100 M48 (POSSUM) - which is showing its
age with a power-supply fault since yesterday!

An original DEC-2000 AXP model 300 (TAIPAN) just freshly upgraded to VSI
OpenVMS V8.4-2L1

A VAX-11/780 SIMH emulation running OpenVMS V5.5-2 on Raspberry Pi (EMU)

Intermittently I also fire up emulations running Ultrix-32 VAX V4.6
(NUMBAT), TRU-64 V5.1B (QUOLL), "ancient" VAX/VMS from V1.5 to V4.7
(BROLGA), TOPS10 V7.04 (PANDA) - and P/OS V3.2 one day when I get a round
'tuit (DUGONG) with Xhomer Pro-380 emulation and async DECnet.

Finally a couple that are nearly always online -

An Alpha ES40 emulation (KOALA) under AlphaVM-Free running VSI OpenVMS
V8.4-2L1 on an Intel Core i7 Windows-10 box,

and VAXserver-3900 SIMH with OpenVMS VAX V7.3 under Windows-10/Cygwin-32
(VOGON).

You can reach me at FAUNA::TONY if you want to try e-mail the old fashioned
way from VAX-MAIL or Mail-11.

Tony

--
Tony Nicholson <tony.nicholson at computer.org>