[HECnet] Question for PyDECnet users

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu Sep 24 15:23:20 PDT 2020

Hi.

On 2020-09-24 23:15, Paul Koning wrote:
> Gentlepeople,
>
> Currently the details of what PyDECnet circuits connect to are not displayed.  So you can see that a Multinet circuit is up and the other end is node 42.73, but you don't see the IP addresses or the like.
>
> When things are working that's fine; when they are broken it might be helpful to see what something is trying to talk to.
>
> On the other hand, hiding IP addresses is arguably a security feature.  So I have this question:
>
> 1. Should the addressing info (basically, what's in the --device config argument) be shown in the PyDECnet web interface?
>
> 2. Should the addressing info be visible via NCP / NML?
>
> The difference is that #1 can be limited to be local only, if you use an internal address for the web service.  That's what I do for my nodes except for the mapper, though perhaps there isn't a strong argument why it should be so restrictive.  #2, on the other hand, is visible to all HECnet users assuming you haven't disabled NML in your config settings.
>
> I'd be interested in comments.  Am I too concerned about hiding information, or is it sensible to be cautious?

Interesting question. For myself, I certainly do not care or worry. (I
sortof encourage the probing of Mim and Magica, since that helps iron
out any bugs in my TCP/IP.)

But I do want to respect if others would want to be more protective of
their information. So it becomes a little tricky.

It would be nice if individuals could tell how they would like it on an
individual basis. But I don't have any good suggestion at this time on
how to do it.

Finally, can you really stuff that information into the circuit
I'll do anything in RSX right now, but if possible, it could maybe be
something I'd look into eventually...)